Saturday, July 19, 2008

ALL DONE!! *hops*

It turned out somewhat wonky (my machine doesn't like so many layers at corners) but overall, I like it and am pleased with the result... let's hope Ronee likes it as much. ^_^

First, here's the photos of the deconstructed skirt I promised.

I salvaged 1 hook and eyes set, 3 labels (trash), 1 hidden zipper, 1 long piece of brown ribbon (looks bleached in some places and has a sticky tape on one side -- shown folded over and stuck to itself here), 2 smaller pieces of ribbon, 10 pieces of leather in various sizes & 7 pieces of denim in various sizes.





Here's a photo of the "pattern" I scribbled up and altered a smidge as I went along. It doesn't allow for seam allowances.



And here's all the pattern pieces laid out and marked for ironing and sewing (not shown -- 8" X 7.5" piece of interior fabric).



You can see on the "credit card pocket" piece that it's not the same as the pattern. I ended up only making it with one "pocket" for the credit cards.

Here's all the interior pieces sewn together (it's honestly not as crooked as it looks). The two topmost pockets are for a checkbook and register, the lower two are for credit cards, and the next two up cash and receipts (I show an "action shot" later with this):



Here's the clasp bit that I managed to screw up. The magnetic piece was supposed to go through the denim side... I didn't realize that it was in backwards until I had flipped this piece right side out. I ended up "covering" the denim portion in another piece of suede. I thought it might look neat with the denim peeking out a bit like it was "sandwiched" in between the two pieces and it does if you look carefully. The extra layers of fabric really added to the strength of it I think. I ended up having to hand sew the last little bit around the snap since the machine didn't like it much.



Here's the other end of the clasp on the wallet itself. I managed to slightly screw this up too. The heart was originally going to go on the backside with the zipper (which I forgot to put in) and a line drawing of a horse on the front. Well, I emailed the artist of the line-drawing requesting permission to use it and haven't received a response... so I just went ahead and used the heart on the front. Since it was on the front instead there wasn't as much room planned for the snap so I had to extend the length a smidge. Anyway, here's a photo of the snap going through the outer suede and into the "hem" on the interior denim.



Here's where I sewed down the snap "strap" onto the inside of the suede. It'll end up sandwiched between the interior and exterior pieces. I didn't make the ends so neat because no one will see it, so who cares, right? ^_^



And here it is all completed and filled up with a few things.









Turns out there's also some room for a small calendar book, so I might buy her one as a gift to go along with it. ^_^ All in all, I'm rather pleased with it. I could've used interfacing to make it stiffer as it's quite "floppy" but meh... no one says wallets HAVE to be stiff, so I'm leaving it the way it is.

*Whew* Now on to the "harder" stuff. ^_^

No comments: